Sunday 29 July 2012

A super record and a thud

It was a fine morning. The monsoons haven't arrived yet. The morning breeze is filled with chilled air and that dose of adrenaline, which is only unique to Bangalore.
Otherwise, where would we find the motivation for a lazy person like me to wake up before five in the morning and complete a sixty km ride, and yet present yourself spic and span at nine.
This day was just normal like ant other day, with office work running till midnight the previous day. I got out of my home at 0530 for the Varthur circle, which marked the start point for Attibele loop, which is fast becoming my favourite. its not only the butter smooth roads, but also the rolling terrain and the green surroundings. All of the above makes a perfect combination to replace a cup of coffee, and packed enough caffeine to kick-start your day.
The loop measures 53 km, and with my commute it totaled sixty, making it an ideal two and a half hour workout on a weekday. The first time I attempted the course, I did it in 2:13. Two attempts later, I could bring the time down to 2:09.
So, todays was a much looked forward to ride, not only because of the scenery, but also because I was expecting a better timing, after the installation of toe clips.
The ground was still wet from the mild drizzle the previous night. I set my Garmin to virtual partner mode for the pre-marked course, started it, and pushed off. the traffic as usual was less. After about the kilometres, I was feeling a slight pain on the left knee. I slowed down a little before pacing further. The pain must be because of the insufficient warm up.
I just kept looking at the Garmin and paced further. All of a sudden, I realized that the Farming was a stopped. I set it right and moved along. Based on the gap in the distance, I must have had it speed for about five-six minutes, you never know.
As I continued looking at the virtual partner and paced myself, I noticed another thing. The distance remaining was never getting updated and it remained at the same eve since the start of the course. To add to that, the virtual partner also went into recalculation, and I was never sure from this point, whether I was faster than my previous time or not. I had no option to keep pushing through the ride.
On the back of my mind, I was still calculating how to get the missed time.
Except for the small bad patch after Attibele, all the ride was done pushing myself.
And finally when I arrived at Cathie circle, I stopped the watch, and reset it to save the workout. As it showed the details, I immediately knew, I beat the previous time, but not by how much.
I went over the workout details, and was in for a pleasant surprise. I beat previous time by over six minutes. I was only expecting to better it by a coupe of minutes.
With confidence brimming, I started pedalling slowly towards home. usually, the ride back home was usually the toughest, but today was different. I was happily pedalling.
As I reached Thubarahalli, I  needed to make a right turn, I WA already in the middle of the road, and it was easy. Somebody was honking very badly, and I let him pass. For all that hungama created, It was a motorcycle.
I checked again that there is nobody in the right lane and moved towards the right to make a turn. There was again another round of honking  which must have gone for two seconds. The next thing I knew was that I was lying on the road, and a cabbie had hit me from behind.
I was having an excruciating pain on my left wrist, and a few scrapes on my left elbow and leg.
With all the pain, I lifted myself up and also tried to move the bike. The rear wheel was jammed and the chain had come off from the front chain-rings.
Some passers-by were just looking, confused or otherwise wondering why people ride bicycles. Two good samaritans came to me rescue: while one offered a ride, the other offered to safe keep the bike, when I get treatment in a hospital.
I assured them I was perfectly airtight and tried to walk. aS stiffen flash of dizziness, caught me and I fainted. I waited fir another minute sipping water politely declining any help offered and carried along, carrying the bike. the first samaritan managed to catch me on his car, and gave me a ride. I has to get off the car at a fair distance from my home, just to ensure that me family doesn't get overly worried.
After reaching home my first priority was to send off Chandu to office without creating an alarm. the next task was to go to a hospital, and get an x-ray.
The orthopaedic didn't consult in the mornings, and being already at the hospital, I did not wasn't to waste time, and had to settle for a consultation with the general physician. I specifically asked the front desk if the physio will be able too take a look at the fracture, and the answer was kind if evasive. I wad  happy after the consultation. The doc simply mentioned that the wrist is write well protected and you quote him, "nothing usually happens around that area".
I was happier when I went back home. A few hours later, when the pain started increasing, I decided to consult the ortho. The ortho was quote clear, and immediately suggested a x-ray and the rest of the formalities followed. I walled out if the hospital with my wrist in cast. It turned out that I had a fracture in the scaphoid, and such fractures are quite common.Why the general physician could not figure it out its entirely a different story, and that is the state of our medical system. they could have simply asked me to consult the ortho than wasting time with an useless consultation.
the fracture would take five to six Weeks to heal, and more importantly, I cannot do any exercise during this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment